Monday, August 25, 2008

 

To Deprovincialize

I am writing up my post-sabbatical report. Nobody will read it, but I can't help but spend some time on it anyway, and I can combine the effort with the report for the donor of my research chair. I thought I might have come up with a new word, but I see it is already out there. I wrote, "exposure to lots of people from many universities is an important part of the “deprovincializing” purpose of a sabbatical." It is the most important reason why those of us who go on sabbatical ought to be forced to move out of Bloomington during it rather than just treating it as a research period.

Deprovincialize
v. t. To divest of provincial quality or characteristics. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
(from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deprovincialize

Labels:

 

To view the post on a separate page, click: at (the permalink).