Monday, November 9, 2009

 

Loyalty Oaths

There's an easy fix to detecting traitors of the Major Hasan type: a better loyalty oath. Something specific, like this:

"I swear to defend the United States by fighting against its enemies even when they are Moslem, and in particular I swear to oppose Al Qaeda and the Taliban until my superiors release me from that obligation. If my duty ever conflicts with my religious principles, I will inform my superiors immediately."

Of course, Major Hasan wanted to quit the military, so he perhaps wouldn't mind a dishonorable discharge for disloyalty,but at least it would have removed him from an opportunity to hurt us.

Oaths are not much use for protection against liars, but principled people such as religious and political extremists are often unwilling to betray their gods.

 

To view the post on a separate page, click: at (the permalink).